Sunday, November 8, 2015

10: Spaghetti a la Sara

All my kids are sick today. When one of them gets a cold, they all get it.

There has been a strain of bug going around the school, and of course my kids are always the first to pick it up and pass it on to each other since they are always sneezing and coughing all over the place.

Sara had it the worst this time. Her pudgy little hands felt cool and clammy all morning. She even said no to having milk at snack time. This is a first. I have never seen her refuse food before.

She looked so drained and splotchy that I called her mom to see if she could possibly take her home. But there was no one at home to watch her, and her mom could not take the time off of work. So, my class was Sara’s only option.

Around lunch time, she looked a smidgen better but maybe it was because knew she was going to eat soon. Sara’s mom had packed spaghetti and some brownie bites in her lunch. Sara ate only half of her lunch when I saw her trotting over to where I was sitting. Her face was totally drained of color and her bottom lip was quivering.

“Miss Pell,” she was almost in tears, “I don’t feel good.”

I called my aide over to watch my kids while I took Sara to the nurse’s office. We got about half way there when suddenly:

“Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!”

A mixture of regurgitated spaghetti and brownie bites lay in the middle of the hallway. Knowing the older kids were coming in from recess soon, I rushed Sara to the nurse and turned to go alert the janitor as quickly as possible. The janitor was nowhere to be found. This mess had to be cleaned, so I bucked up and grabbed a mop.

As I was mopping and holding back the gags, I noticed something in her mess. I bent down to look. It was tiny as hell, but noticeably it was car-shaped and not a piece of food. From what I could remember of my childhood, it was a Micro-Machine.

The first thing that came to mind was, “Do they still make these things?”

Image result for micro machines

No comments:

Post a Comment