Sunday, November 8, 2015

19: God Bless America

During activity time, I noticed Daria digging in her butt, as usual. She was standing with her back to the corner, facing me, with both hands down the back of her pants and an odd satisfied grin on her face.

Whenever I catch any student with his or her hand down their pants I’ll remind them that this is not appropriate, ask them if they need to use the restroom, and then make sure they wash their hands.

“Daria, where are your hands?”

Daria smiles and takes them out and hold them in the air to show me.

"Thank you, Daria. Do you need to use the restroom?”
"No, I itch."
"Okay, how about you go wash your hands now.”

Daria begins to waddle to the classroom sink to wash her hands.

Then I noticed something. Peeking over the waistband of her pants, directly above her butt, was our tiny classroom American flag—the kind on a stick that costs a dollar at Wal-mart. It was just flapping in the breeze as she sauntered to the sink to wash her patriotic little hands.

Even though I guess it was a little unpatriotic, I made sure she threw that flag away.

No comments:

Post a Comment