Sunday, November 8, 2015

5: Sara is hungry

Sara is 6 years old, her goal in life seems to be limited to seeking out food and rapidly devouring it as fast as possible.

Needless to say, Sara has a weight problem. She'll eat anything--a crumb off the floor, gum off a shoe, she even licks other kids fingers if there’s remnants of food present on them. For this reason, we cannot have a speck of food anywhere in the room or she will find it and eat it.

Sara is beginning to understand that she is not allowed near the cubbyholes where the other kids keep their lunches, but I find her sniffing around on occasion. One day, I had the kids lined up at the door to head to the music room. As I was doing a head count, I noticed Sara was not in line. I also noticed all the winter coats were not on their hooks, but were piled in a heap near the cubbyholes in the back of the classroom. There was obvious movement within this pile.

I find Sara in the center of this coat blob, face full of tard lunches, happier than I've ever seen her.

All she could say to me when I pulled the coats off her was, "Can I play the tambourine today?"

No comments:

Post a Comment