Sunday, November 8, 2015

6: Terry's team

It was Monday morning and I knew there would be a new student joining my class. Just as the day was beginning, the principal knocks on my door and drops off a new bundle of love. A freckly, pale, skinny kid walks in wearing baggy jeans--tapered and tight against the ankles, a big purple fleece shirt, and dusty red hair in a buzz cut.

I’m playing the pronoun game because at this point I seriously have no idea if this is a he or she. I would have put $20 down on it being a boy based on the looks and haircut.

“This is Misty. She will be joining your class,” he introduces to the class.

After showing Misty to her desk and reading the class a story, it was time for recess. Since this was her first day, I went outside to check to see if Misty was interacting with the other children. I notice many kids circling around her, taking turns rubbing her head. I walk over and ask what is going on.

Misty pointed at her hair, “Terry cuts it!” She says proudly.
“Who’s Terry?” I asked her.
“My cousin.” I left it at that and class resumed.

At the end of the day, I got some of the kids on the short bus and was waiting out front for the kids who are picked up. Suddenly, a big black Dodge Ram Diesel truck roars into the parking lot. A woman, who resembled John Goodman, jumps out of the truck and comes over. I just knew this barn door of a woman had to be related to the new girl.

“I’m Terry, Misty’s cousin.”

The only reason I knew this was a woman was because of her mammoth breasts that filled her sleeveless flannel shirt. This was Terry, the source of Misty’s haircut. As the extended cab diesel truck pulled out of the school parking lot, the rear hatch of the cab read in bold white letters: “Terry and Joan’s Pet Groomers”.

That was all the explanation I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment